Time: April 23, 205, 7:00 – 9:00 pm
Venue: Japan Foundation, Los Angeles
A Proposal from Shige Higashi, Editor & Publisher of Cultural News
“Public Forum to promote the Los Angeles Japan House Project initiated by Japanese Government”
Coinciding with Prime Minister Abe’s Official Visit to the U.S.
Shige Higashi, editor & publisher of Cultural News, would like to propose a Public Forum to promote the Los Angles Japan House Project initiated by Japanese government in conjunction with Japan’s Prime Minister Abe’ official visit to the U.S. from April 28.
The Japanese government decided to build the Japan House in London, Sao Paulo, and Los Angeles in the fiscal year 2015 (April 1, 2015 through March 30, 2016).
The Japan House is designed to be a center of public relation activities of the Japanese government in the respective cities throughout the world.
On March 24, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Tokyo posted the plan, budget, and bidding conditions of the London and Sao Paulo locations on its website. The ministry will accept the bidding by May 12, 2015. The announcement of Los Angeles bidding information is still pending.
A 2,000 square-meter (approx. 22,000 sqf.) facility will be built in London and Sao Paulo, and the Japanese government will allocate approx. 5.4 billion yen (approx. US$54 million) to London for four years, and approx. 3.6 billion yen (approx. US$36 million) to Sao Paulo for four years.
It appears that the Los Angeles Japan House would be designed on a scale similar to London and Sao Paulo.
We, the people in Los Angeles, especially, the Japanese community as well as those who are promoting Japanese culture in Los Angeles, welcome and support the Los Angeles Japan House project.
Prime Minister Abe’s official visit to the U.S. will start in Washington from April 28.
To coincide with Prime Minister Abe’s visit, Shige Higashi would like to propose a Public Forum to share the information with people in general, and exchange many ideas from the local prospective with all those concerned with the Los Angeles Japan House Project.
“A Public Forum to promote the Los Angles Japan House” will be;
1) The first event for those who are promoting Japanese culture in Los Angeles to show their appreciation to the Japanese government.
2) A meeting with interested people in Los Angeles to share the information about the Los Angeles Japan House Project.
3) A meeting to exchange ideas and concepts to promote Japanese culture and understanding of Japan in Los Angeles with responsible officers of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Tokyo through the social media such as, Skype.
4) A meeting for those who support the Los Angeles Japan House project to deliver a message to Prime Minister Abe.
All who are concerned, including those who promote Japanese culture, and future users of the Los Angeles Japan House, are welcome.
In order to realize “Public Forum,” Shige Higashi plans to send a petition to the Consul General of Japan in Los Angeles by April 15, 2015. The concerned people are asked to send their endorsements to the petition by April 14. Your endorsement and questions about the forum will be accepted at email@example.com For contact Shige Higashi, call (213) 819-4100
In your email, please indicate whether you would represent any organizations you participate in. In case you like to add your name to the petition on behave of yourself, please add “individual” after your name.
(Draft) The Petition to Japanese Consulate General Hidehisa “Harry” Horinouchi, in Los Angeles
We, people who are promoting Japanese culture in Los Angeles, would like to ask your assistance to hold the Public Forum to promote the Los Angeles Japan House:
1) Coordination for opinion exchange session between Los Angeles people and responsible officer(s) in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Tokyo
2) Coordination for delivering Los Angeles’ message of support to the Los Angeles Japan House project to Prime Minister Abe.