Forwarded for Japanese Language Scholarship /Aurora Foundation
Speech Contest: May 28, 2016 at Humanities Instructional Building, University of California, Irvine
Deadline: All applications must be mailed on must be mailed on or before April 20, 2016
Japanese Language Scholarship Foundation is currently accepting Application for All-USA High School Japanese Speech Contest
The contestants will take part in the12th annual contest, to be held on Saturday, May 28, 2016.
Eligibility and Application Requirements
* Be one of the top three winners of a sub-national/region/state/multi-school Japanese language speech contest held in the USA and its territories between April 1, 2015 and April 14, 2016.
* Provide a recommendation form completed on the applicant’s behalf by an official representative of that contest.
* Be high school students at the time of the Aurora speech contest (senior year applicants graduating in May or June).
* Not be native speakers of Japanese of have a Japanese parent (Issei).
* Be a citizen of the USA or a Permanent Resident of the USA.
Aurora welcomes all students learning Japanese language in USA to enter the Aurora Speech Contest. However, in order to enter the World Speech Contest in Japan the student must be a citizen of the USA or a permanent resident of the USA. If the winner is not a citizen of the USA or permanent resident of the USA, we cannot send the contest winner as a USA representative. In that case the next place winner would be eligible.
* Have not had more than six months of schooling in Japan after age six.
* Not have entered an International Speech Contest (Japanese Speech Award-organized by E.G.G., JSA Planning Committee) in the past.
Submit a copy of their speech (script) in applicants’ own handwriting and an audio recording of the speech in Japanese and the completed application form: http://www.jlsf-aurora.org/uploads/2016/04/05/Application%20Form_Web-2.pdf
All applications must be mailed on or before April 20, 2016
May 3, 2016: Announcement of 15 participants
May 27, 2016: Participants arrive in Los Angeles Attend Orientation, Welcome Party, and Host Family Introductions
May 28, 2016: Speech Contest
May 29, 2016: Free time. Participants depart from LA
The contestants will be invited to Los Angeles the weekend of May 27-29, 2016. The sponsoring organization or the student will be responsible for transportation between the student’s home and Los Angeles. The Aurora Foundation will cover all the contestants’ appropriate expenses while in Los Angeles. Contestants will home-stay with Japanese host families in the Los Angeles area for two nights, unless a student wishes to make his or her own housing arrangements at his/her own expense.