The Okinawa Association of America presents its largest annual fundraiser and Los Angeles’ only Okinawan festival
October 7, 2018 (Sunday), 11 AM – 4 PM
OAA Center in Gardena
16500 S. Western Ave, Gardena, CA 90247
Use street-side parking
Before you stand in line to buy food…
Booths will only accept pre-paid scrips. When you arrive, be sure to buy your scrips at the Information/Scrips Booth before you get into any of the food lines.
$1 = 1 scrip.
“Early bird gets the rafutee”
Many food and merchandise items tend to sell-out quickly (especially the souvenirs from Okinawa). Also, parking can be hectic, so please take that into consideration when planning your visit.
Lunch and dinner
Did you know the Bazaar is the OAA’s largest annual fundraiser?
Please consider buying lunch and dinner so you can support the OAA + enjoy delicious Okinawan food + save time in the kitchen!
Learn something new
What is “ashitibichi”? How do you say “long time no see” in Uchinaaguchi (the Okinawan language)?
The OAA Bazaar is a great place to dive deeper into Okinawan culture.
In addition to traditional performances and dishes, you’ll see simple Okinawan words and phrases throughout the Bazaar.
Take this opportunity to learn and practice with your family and friends. it’s like a free class.
(subject to change; food booths will only accept scrips, so please purchase them at the scrips booth before waiting in line for food)
* Andaagii (Okinawan donuts)
* Ashitibichi (pig’s feet)
* Okinawa Soba (Uchinaa suba)
* Rafutee Donburi (braised pork belly with rice) *Limited*
* Rafutee Sliders (braised pork belly with King’s Hawaiian sweetbread)*Limited*
* Shaved Ice
* Spam Musubi
* Taco Rice
* Teriyaki Beef/Chicken Combo
* Also: Baked goods and mochi!
(subject to change)
* Erin Akamine?(youth cello performance)
* Blaise and Phoenix Baker (youth sanshin performance)
* Choichi Kai Los Angeles (Okinawan folk music)
* Cultural Lessons:
o Miyako Island “Kuichaa” Dance Lesson (audience participation!)
o Sanshin Lesson (audience participation!)
* El Marino Language School’s Eisaa Group (youth Okinawan drum group)
* Hickory Hula Hounds (youth hula group)
* “Letters to Eve” Cast (performing key ensemble songs from the independent musical)
* April Nimmo (youth dance performance)
* Shigeru and William Logan (violin and guitar)
* Puniwai Hula Halau (hula and ukulele)
* Ryukyukoku Matsuri Daiko Los Angeles Branch (Okinawan drum dancing)
* Ryukyu Minyou Kyoukai and Aikoh Kai (Okinawan folk music)
* Shugyokan Dojo (karate demonstrations)
* Tamagusuku Ryu Kansen Kai (traditional Okinawan dance)
(tickets are $1 each; attendance not required)
* GRAND PRIZE: Four (4) one-park/one-day passes to Disneyland
1 winner; generously donated by the Walt Disney Company
* $250 gift card to Costco
1 winner; generously donated by OAA member Haruko Hamlin
* Tiger rice cookers
10 winners; generously donated by Tiger Corporation U.S.A.
* Samsung 1,000W microwave oven
1 winner; generously donated by OAA member Steven Awakuni
* $50 gift card to Amazon
1 winner; generously donated by OAA member Elizabeth Nakama
* $25 gift card to Regal Cinemas
1 winner; generously donated by OAA member Rachael Kamiya
* $20 gift card to Starbucks
4 winners; generously donated by an anonymous OAA member
* Tote bag with original Okinawa-themed designs
2 winners; generously donated by Flor Kaneshiro (artist) and Joey Kamiya
* Plus gift cards, electronics, kitchenware, and more.
SOUVENIRS FROM OKINAWA
(VERY LIMITED SUPPLY; WILL SELL OUT QUICKLY; merchandise booth will only accept scrips, so please purchase them at the scrips booth before waiting in line for merchandise)
* CDs, children’s socks, chopsticks, coasters, keychains, magnets, miniature shiisaa statues, pens, scrunchies, towels, and more.
* Sanshin accessories (strings and uma)
(while supplies last; merchandise booth will only accept scrips, so please purchase them at the scrips booth before waiting in line for merchandise)
* Art Prints/Postcards
* Tote Bags (lightweight canvas bags and heavy duty shopping bags)
* Gently used items from Okinawa (noren, coin purse, and more)
(subject to change; carnival games and photo booth will only accept scrips, so please purchase them at the scrips booth before waiting in line)
* Carnival-Style Games (Prizes for All*): Ring toss, bean bag tic-tac-toe, ping pong ball toss, yo-yo balloon fishing, plinko disk?drop (*while supplies last)
* Digital Photo Booth