Forwarded for Gardena Valley Japanese Cultural Institute
GARDENA VALLEY JAPANESE CULTURAL INSTITUTE
BILINGUAL PROGRAM COORDINATOR
Job Title: Bilingual Program Coordinator
Salary: Hourly part-time, commensurate with experience
Location: 1964 W. 162nd Street, Gardena, CA 90247
The Gardena Valley Japanese Cultural Institute (GVJCI) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit community center housing various classes, services, and programs for seniors, non-senior adults, and youth in the South Bay for over 40 years.
Our mission is to serve the needs of the local Japanese American community through educational, cultural, and social programs that share the Japanese and Japanese American cultural heritage.
A space to engage, share, and embrace the Nikkei experience and culture.
The GVJCI envisions a vibrant network and a welcoming space for all persons interested in Japanese heritage and culture where history and tradition are honored, people are inspired to create action and change, and cultural pride and respect for all humanity are promoted.
Reporting to the Program Manager, the Bilingual Program Coordinator is responsible to develop, expand, and strengthen bilingual public programs, classes, workshops, events, and activities, which serve the cultural, educational, and social needs of the community and GVJCI’s mission. Key to the position is to be able to work collaboratively with community groups and individuals, and encourage English-speaking and Japanese-speaking integration.
BILINGUAL PROGRAM AREAS :
- Health and Wellness
- Community Collaborations
60% Programs and Services, 40% Administration
- Bilingual program development
- Administrative tasks such as answering phone calls, assisting people at the front window, etc.
- Outreach to and increase Japanese-speaking participants
- Encourage English-speaking and Japanese-speaking integration
- Community networking and relationship building, including collaborations with community resources (organizations and individuals) that align with GVJCI’s mission
- Program promotion through print, social, and electronic media
- Implementation and staffing of programs with volunteers, interns, and/or committees (periodic weekend hours are required)
- Bachelor’s Degree or an equivalent combination of education andexperience
- Bilingual in Japanese. Must have the ability to read, write, and speak with native level proficiency
- Previous administrative, program, or event planning experience
- Strong prioritization, organization, and multi-tasking skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Ability to work under own initiative
- Knowledge and experience working with the Japanese-speaking community in the South Bay area
HOW TO APPLY: Interested applicants can send cover letter and resume to: Alison Kochiyama, email@example.com. Accepting applications until position is filled.